Skip to main content
Leicester Special Collections

Crafts and Occupational Therapy

Throughout the First World War the site now occupied by the University of Leicester was used as a military hospital. The first patients arrived on 1st September 1914, and convoys of wounded continued to disembark until June 1919. During the course of the war a total of 74,652 patients appeared in the hospital records. They included troops from Belgium, Canada, Australia and New Zealand as well as the United Kingdom. So that they may have life volunteer Jenni Hunt explores the role of a wellknown Leicester businessman in the rehabilitation of men who suffered life-changing injuries in the war.